Military VA Loan

Questions? (866) 240-3742

DD214 Form Request

Posted on: June 30, 2015

The DD Form 214, also known as the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, is the separation document issued by the US Department of Defense. This document contains information regarding a service member’s military separation, retirement, or discharge.

Click here to check today’s low VA loan rates and see if you are eligible.

You might need to supply a copy of your DD-214 to help the VA lender establish eligibility for the VA home loan program. If you need a copy of your DD-214, complete our contact form and a VA approved lender will contact you to help.

How to get your DD-214 | MilitaryVALoan.comThe VA lender can often receive your Certificate of Eligibility instantly through VA’s direct website, even without your DD-214. It’s worth speaking to a VA loan officer if you are not able to get the document right away.

Since active duty service members are not yet separated from service, they will not have a DD-214. In lieu of this document, they need to supply a statement of service signed by the adjutant (senior officer’s assistant), personnel office, or commander of the unit.

Each VA purchase or refinance is unique and will require different types of documentation.  To find out exactly which documents you will need, including more information on the DD-214, call (866) 240-3742 to speak with a mortgage professional or request more information.

Get a personalized VA loan rate quote here.


Requesting Your DD-214

1. Digital Express

If you need your DD-214 quickly, you should request the services of a DD-214 express service. There are numerous services found online, and there is a usually a fee associated. But if you need your DD Form 214 in a hurry, expedited service is a great option.

2. Request your DD-214 online

If you don’t need your DD-214 right away, you can request it online directly from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). This option allows you to complete the necessary information online through eVetRecs, NPRC’s online request system.

3. Request the DD-214 by fax

You can also request DD-214 duplicate copies directly from the National Personnel Records Center by faxing a completed and signed SF-180 form  to fax number 314-801-9195.

4. Mail in your request

Mail a written request for your DD214 to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Our mortgage specialists can help you obtain a copy of your DD-214.  To speak with a mortgage expert who can assist you, call (866) 240-3742 or request information or assistance.

Did you know you could buy a home with no down payment?

  • VA loans require no down payment
  • Maximum loan amount with no down payment is $417,000.
  • In Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands the guarantee limit is $625,500, and up to $1,094,625 in other locations.
  • Mortgage insurance is not required
  • Seller can contribute up to 4% of the sales price toward closing costs

Get pre-approved so that you can go shopping for your new home with confidence. Just fill out the VA Home Loan Quote form to get started.

How can I obtain more information about VA home loans?

To obtain more information on VA loans, refinance options, documents, or costs, call (866) 240-3742 to speak with a mortgage professional or request more information.

See the links below for additional resources