VA Financing – A Good Deal for Veterans
According to the Department of Veteran Affairs, more than 29 million veterans are eligible for VA financing. Even though many veterans have already used their loan benefits, it may be possible for them to buy homes again with VA financing using remaining or restored loan entitlement.
Before arranging for a new mortgage to finance a home purchase, veterans should consider some of the advantages of VA home loans.
- Loan maximum may be up to 100 percent of the VA-established reasonable value of the property.
- Loan amounts up to $417,000, or higher in some geographic locations.
- Flexibility of negotiating interest rates with the lender.
- No monthly mortgage insurance premium to pay.
- Limitation on buyer’s closing costs.
- An appraisal which informs the buyer of property value.
- Thirty year loans with a choice of repayment plans:
- Traditional fixed payment (constant principal and interest; increases or decreases may be expected in property taxes and homeowner’s insurance coverage);
- Graduated Payment Mortgage–GPM (low initial payments which gradually rise to a level payment starting in the sixth year); and
- In some areas, Growing Equity Mortgages-GEMs (gradually increasing payments with all of the increase applied to principal, resulting in an early payoff of the loan).
- Construction loans require an inspection at appropriate stages to ensure compliance with the approved plans, and a 1-year warranty is required from the builder that the house is built in conformity with the approved plans and specifications. In those cases where the builder provides an acceptable 10-year warranty plan, only a final inspection may be required.
- An assumable mortgage, subject to VA approval of the assumer’s credit.
- Right to prepay loan without penalty.
- VA performs personal loan servicing and offers financial counseling to help veterans avoid losing their homes during temporary financial difficulties.
VA home loan quotes are freely available
The VA home loan program is an excellent deal for qualified active duty military personnel and non-active duty veterans. Take advantage of your benefits.
- Loan Amounts Up to $417,000.00
- 15, 25 or 30 Year Loan Terms
- Up to 4% Seller Paid Closing Cost Allowed
- No Mortgage Insurance
- Allowed To Finance Up to $6000 For Energy Improvements
How can I obtain more information about VA home loans?
Here are some links to additional information
Source: VA Handbook