CrossCountry Mortgage Lender Review | 2022
MilitaryVALoan.com may be compensated by some of the mortgage lenders we review. However, this does not affect our review process or the ratings lenders receive. All reviews are created independently by our editorial team. We review products and services from partner lenders as well as lenders we do not work with.
The bottom line
CrossCountry Mortgage was founded in 2003 in Cleveland, Ohio and has rapidly grown into a full-service nationwide lender. With more than 300 branch offices throughout the United States, this privately held organization offers a wide range of mortgage programs and takes great pride in its customer service.
CrossCountry has been listed on the INC. 5000 list of fastest growing privately held companies since 2012. The company offers residential home loans to borrowers seeking a mortgage to purchase a home, as well as those looking to refinance. The company is licensed to do business in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.Ready to buy a home? Start here (Dec 1st, 2022)
Pros & cons of CrossCountry
Serving its customers for more than 15 years, CrossCountry has developed a reputation for providing a high level of customer service to mortgage borrowers throughout the United States. The company has built an organization of mortgage professionals to assist consumers through every step of the loan origination process.
All mortgage applicants are assigned a licensed loan officer to provide them with guidance and they are supported by an entire team of dedicated experts to help move the borrower from application to closing as quickly as possible. Most loans can be processed and closed by CrossCountry in as little as 21 days.
Pros of CrossCountry
- Dedicated home loan experts, available by phone and in branch offices, to match every customer’s financial goals with the best mortgage loans available
- Wide variety of home loan programs including VA, FHA, USDA and Conventional loans – for both the purchase of a home and refinancing at competitive interest rates
- Home renovation loans are offered through FHA 203(k), VA and Conventional programs
- An easy application process designed to speed up underwriting time with check lists to expedite the process for borrowers
- First-time home buyer’s programs and refinance programs to enable consumers to take advantage of historic low interest rates
- Home buyer resources including a home buying guide with detailed information on the home buying process, estimating expenses and understanding credit reports
- Online mortgage calculators to estimate monthly payments, compare fixed rate and adjustable rate loans, and even determine how much interest can be saved by making biweekly payments
- FastTrack Credit Approval letters provide home buyers with more certainty. With a pre-approval letter from CrossCountry, sellers will know the borrower is already approved for a mortgage and is backed by a strong lender.
Cons of CrossCountry
- CrossCountry relies on telephone communication and branch offices to serve its mortgage borrowers. Very little activity appears to be automated or is conducted online.
- CrossCountry does not publish their interest rates and fees. Consumers must contact the organization to obtain pricing information.
- 100% VA cash-out refinance loans are not offered
How to get a mortgage with CrossCountry
CrossCountry’s application process begins when a borrower contacts the company either by phone or in person, or completes a brief online application. A mortgage loan officer will discuss the borrower’s goals, purpose of the loan and available loan programs. Customers are provided with a checklist of required documents including a mortgage loan application, W-2s, tax returns and bank statements.
Once an application is submitted, CrossCountry’s lending experts will review the borrower’s employment and credit history along with income, assets and liabilities. If a property appraisal is required, CrossCountry will order one to assess the value of the home. If the loan is for the purchase of a home, CrossCountry’s loan experts will work with the borrower’s real estate agent to arrange for title insurance on the property.
CrossCountry’s loan officers are well equipped to offer a variety of programs for the borrower to consider, including fixed rate and adjustable rate, VA, FHA, USDA and Conventional and Jumbo loans (for up to $5 million). Approved loan applicants will be offered a selection of interest rates, points and fees best suited to meet their needs.
In addition to providing the support of loan experts, CrossCountry also offers mortgage applicants many tools to help them throughout the process – including FAQs, articles and videos. Customers have access to several online calculators designed to help estimate how much they can afford to borrow; to compare mortgage loan programs; and to estimate savings generated by refinancing.Click here to speak with a VA mortgage specialist (Dec 1st, 2022)
Buying a house with CrossCountry
CrossCountry’s loan experts have many years of experience helping home buyers through all of the steps in the mortgage process. In a fast-paced real estate market, it pays to have a lender like CrossCountry to provide fast loan decisions., In many cases, this lender can close within 21 days of application. CrossCountry can also add value with a pre-approval letter through their FastTrack program.
Whether buying a primary residence, second home or investment property, a pre-approval letter will demonstrate to a seller that you can buy their home — and do so quickly. This provides a substantial advantage when making an offer on a home as home sellers will clearly know and appreciate the credit worthiness of the buyer. Home sellers will also know that CrossCountry FastTrack customers have been approved for a mortgage (pending conditions) and will get to closing in very little time.
CrossCountry’s home buying mortgage products include:
- Conventional loans: A good option for buyers with good credit scores and low levels of personal debt
- VA loans: Designed for U.S. Veterans and offering many benefits including no requirement for a down payment
- FHA loans: Very popular with first-time, lower-income, and/or lower-credit home buyers
- Jumbo loans: For buyers seeking to borrow more than the amount permitted for conventional loans (up to $5 million)
- USDA loans: For rural homeowners seeking up to 100% financing
- Rehab loans: Conventional and government loan programs that include funds to purchase a home and cover the cost of qualified repairs
Refinancing a house with CrossCountry
Interest rates are near historic low levels, making this a perfect opportunity to consider refinancing an existing mortgage loan. Many homeowners are refinancing to lower their monthly payments, shorten the term of their loan or consolidate debt. Others may want to convert from an adjustable rate to a fixed rate or take cash out of the equity in their home.
CrossCountry offers refinancing options to help borrowers achieve their objectives with a variety of low-rate refi programs including VA, FHA, USDA and Conventional loans with a variety of terms (fixed rate, adjustable rate, 30 years, 15 years, etc.).
For VA homeowners, CrossCountry does not offer a 100% VA cash-out loan. However it does offer VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loans (IRRRL) with no income/no asset and no appraisal options. Eligible borrowers may also be able to include the costs of getting an IRRRL into their new loan.
CrossCountry also offers Rehabilitation loans under several refinance programs to help cover the costs of eligible home repairs. Mortgage loan professionals are available to provide customers with assistance in selecting the best refinance loan option — both by phone and through a branch office.
Once a refinance loan application is approved, CrossCountry loan officers work with their customers to determine where and when they would like to close their loan and will schedule a loan settlement at the borrower’s convenience.Click here to check your VA refinance eligibility (Dec 1st, 2022)
Special perks for veterans with CrossCountry
CrossCountry loan experts offer a high level of customer support to veteran loan applicants. The company’s VA programs are available in all 50 states and representatives will explain eligibility requirements for a VA Loan Certificate, determine VA’s residual income requirements, and share special VA program information designed for borrowers who have a service-connected disability.
Additional CrossCountry VA loan benefits include:
- 100% financing with no mortgage insurance
- No appraisal required for VA Streamline Refinance loans
- Closing costs may be paid by the home seller
- Surviving spouses of deceased veterans may also be eligible
In October of 2020, the Cleveland, Ohio City Council approved a $2 million financial incentive package that would help CrossCountry Mortgage build a new headquarters for more than 700 workers in downtown Cleveland. The company has made a major commitment to the Cleveland community and has been recognized as a Top 10 Best Lender by ConsumersAdvocate.org in 2019.
Should you use CrossCountry?
With a customer-centric focus, CrossCountry Mortgage has grown from its humble start as a small mortgage broker in 2003 to a successful, full-service mortgage lender. Licensed in all 50 states, the company makes a commitment to provide a positive experience to all mortgage borrowers and can often close loans in just 21 days (from application to settlement). The company’s goal is to be recognized as “the leading and most reputable mortgage company in the nation.” They have built their reputation on a foundation of good service, competitive rates and a wide variety of affordable mortgage programs.Ready to buy your dream home? Start here (Dec 1st, 2022)