Five Easy Steps to a VA Loan
Posted on: December 17, 2012
- Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The best way to get your COE is to contact a VA loan professional. The VA lender will have access to VA’s website to request a COE. If you want to request the COE on your own, complete a VA Form 26-1880, Request for a Certificate of Eligibility for VA Home Loan Benefits and submit it with copies of your most recent discharge or separation papers covering active military duty since September 16, 1940.
- Obtain a preapproval. This is important prior to looking for a home, since you will know exactly what you can qualify for. Get pre-approved here.
- Decide on a home and sign a purchase agreement after making sure the home meets minimum property requirements (MPRs) as established by VA.
- Submit any needed paperwork to the lender. The lender will order an appraisal from VA and issue a final approval, provided you meet all requirements.
- Sign final loan paperwork. Once the loan closes a few days after signing, the home is yours.
How can I obtain more information about VA home loans?
You can telephone the US Veterans Affairs offices at (800) 827-1000
Here are some links to additional information